A Month of Honor and Remembrance for Veterans at UCF
The University of Central Florida will honor veterans during November with a commemorative ceremony and other activities.
UCF is ranked one of the best universities in the nation for veterans by offering support services along their journey toward graduation and has been ranked as “military friendly” by G.I. Jobs magazine.
Highlights for the month include:
Monday, Nov. 2:
- Activities kick off with an open house and student veteran appreciation lunch at the Veterans Academic Resource Center. UCF student veterans are invited to learn about the services offered through the VARC. Information tables from UCF Veteran History Project, VITAL Program, and Veterans Academic Resource Center, UCF PSTD Clinic, Mission Continues, UCF Athletics and many others will on-site. Food provided by Burger U and light refreshments served.
Tuesday, Nov. 3:
- The UCF History Department’s Community Veterans History Project is hosting Student Veteran History Day. Pre-registered student veterans will share their military experiences throughout the day. The oral history interviews will be recorded, digitally preserved in the UCF Library Special Collection and some may also be archived in the Library of Congress. The interviews will take place in Colbourn Hall, Room 401. For more information contact, 407-823-0242 .
Wednesday, Nov. 4:
- Join WUCF TV for a free screening of Debt of Honor: Disabled Veterans in American History, a new documentary by director Rick Burns. Debt of Honor examines the way in which the American government and society as a whole have regarded disabled veterans throughout history, beginning in the aftermath of the Revolutionary War and continuing through today’s conflicts in the Middle East. These sacrifices are brought to life through hundreds of carefully curated still images and archival footage from across the country.
The screening will be 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Orlando Science Center, 777 E. Princeton St., Orlando. Visit wucftv.org/veterans for more information and to register.
Thursday, Nov. 5:
- To honor UCF Student Veterans, the Veterans Academic Resource Center will display American Flags on Memory Mall. Each flag will represents a student veteran enrolled at UCF for the Fall 2015 semester.
- The University of Central Florida’s Veterans History Project has declared Nov. 5 as UCF Veterans History Day for Korean War and Korean Defense Service Veterans of Lake County, Chapter 169. The UCF Veterans History Project will interview more than 20 of the chapter’s Korean Veterans about their experiences in defending freedom in a country half way around the globe nearly 65 years ago. The interviews will take place at the Leesburg Library and at the Lady Lake Library in Lake County.
Friday, Nov. 6
- The Veterans Commemoration Ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. at the UCF Veterans Commemorative Site on Memory Mall. The ceremony will feature the Air Force ROTC Color Guard, Army ROTC and the UCF Music Department. UCF student veterans will also be recognized as part of the ceremony. The event is open to the public.
Monday, Nov. 9
- The UCF School of Social Work and UCF COHPA Alumni Chapter presents Enhancing Awareness, Knowledge and Clinical Skills – A Focus on Our Military and Veteran Families. James A. Martin of Bryn Mawr College School of Social Work and Social Research will lead the workshop, which will be held at Morgridge International Reading Center, UCF Main Campus, 1-4:30 p.m. Registration required: ucfknightsnetwork.com/veterans2015
Tuesday, Nov. 10
- UCF Student Veterans will participate in the Universal Studios Veterans Day parade at 11 a.m.
Saturday, Nov. 14
- Several UCF organizations and departments will participate in the City of Orlando Veterans Day parade. Hosted by Mayor Buddy Dyer and the city’s Veterans Advisory Council each November, the parade honors the men and women of the armed forces. This year’s parade is commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.
The parade will start at the corner of Orange Avenue and Robinson Street in downtown Orlando at 11 a.m. For parking details and more information visit: http://www.cityoforlando.net/veteransparade/.
Monday, Nov. 16
- Back for its eighth season, Light Up UCF “50 Nights of Music, Lights and Ice” provides Central Florida families and residents with an affordable place to celebrate the holidays. Light Up UCF has become a holiday tradition, offering an 8,000-square-foot outdoor ice skating rink, rides, and holiday attractions. UCF Student Veterans are invited to attend on Military Appreciation Night from 5 to 10 p.m. For more information contact, Joshua.Johnson@ucf.edu or call 407-823-5874 .
Thursday, Nov. 19:
- UCF will host East Carolina in a nationally televised football matchup sponsored by Florida Hospital at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN. In gratitude of active military, reserves, veterans and first responders, they will be able to register for complimentary tickets to the game as it will be Military Appreciation Night at Bright House Networks Stadium.
To take advantage of this special offer: Visit GovX.com; click on `tickets’ on the top banner; search UCF Football; select your seats. GovX members will receive a complimentary ticket. Additional tickets (maximum of four) will be available at $20. As a bonus this offer will extend to the game on Thursday, Nov. 26 when UCF hosts USF. (Signing up for the USF offer will available in the coming days).