UCF Gears Up for Homecoming Week
The University of Central Florida’s Homecoming activities will kick off Saturday, Oct. 27, with a week full of Black and Gold activities.
The week’s events will wrap up when the Knights take on the SMU Mustangs at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3, at Bright House Networks Stadium, where this year’s Homecoming king and queen also will be crowned.
Here’s a rundown on activities:
Saturday, Oct. 27
- Service Day, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Memory Mall. Support your favorite organizations and help raise money for charity. There will be child-friendly booths, carnival games, prizes and other activities. Admission is free.
- Concert Knight, 8 p.m., UCF Arena. Snoop Dogg, Cold War Kids and Sammy Adams will perform. Free tickets for student are available in the Office of Student Involvement (Student Union 208). Tickets will be distributed the day of the show at the UCF Arena box office starting at 3 p.m. with a UCF ID. Non-UCF students can purchase tickets at the UCF Arena or through Ticketmaster.com for $20 plus fees.
Monday, Oct. 29
- Movie Knight, 7 p.m. trivia, 8 p.m. movie, UCF Arena. “The Dark Knight Rises” will be featured along with free handouts and popcorn. Student-made commercials also will be shown.
Tuesday, Oct. 30
- Comedy Knight, 8 p.m., UCF Arena. Stand-up comedians Jim Gaffigan and James Davis will perform. Student tickets are free at the Office of Student Involvement. General admission tickets will not be sold for this show.
Wednesday, Oct. 31
- Skit Knight, 7 p.m., UCF Arena. Student organizations will show their school spirit and compete to be the best at singing, dancing and acting. Donations of change will be accepted by Knight-Thon, UCF’s Dance Marathon benefitting the Children’s Miracle Network.
Thursday, Nov. 1
- Penny Wars, 11 a.m., Student Union patio. Which student organization can collect the most money? All donations will be given to Knight-Thon, UCF’s Dance Marathon benefitting the Children’s Miracle Network.
- Black & Gold Gala, 6:30 p.m., UCF Arena. Celebrate the achievements of UCF alumni. The evening includes an awards presentation, dinner, reception and silent auction to benefit the UCF Alumni Trust Scholarship Fund. The cost is $70, and corporate tables are available for $800. Reservations are required at http://www.ucfknightsnetwork.com/2012gala.
Friday, Nov. 2
- Homecoming golf tournament, 7:30 a.m. registration, 8 a.m. shotgun start, The Villas of Grand Cypress Golf Club. The cost is $125 and includes greens fees, range balls, cart, continental breakfast and awards luncheon. Early reservations can be made at http://www.ucfknightsnetwork.com/2012golf.
- Black & Gold Day, everywhere, all day. Wear your school colors wherever you go to show your support of UCF.
- Spirit Splash, noon, Reflecting Pond. UCF’s traditional Homecoming pep rally was awarded Best Campus Tradition by the National Association for Campus Activities in 2011.
- Black & Gold Takeover, 9 p.m., Ember, 42 W. Central Blvd., Orlando. Wear your best Black & Gold to celebrate the night before the Homecoming football game. All UCF Alumni Association members are welcome and will receive free cover until 11 p.m. by showing alumni keycards. The event is hosted by the Young Alumni Chapter.
Saturday, Nov. 3
- Homecoming tailgate, noon-6 p.m., front of Memory Mall. Music will be provided by Jill’s Cashbox.
- Indoor tailgate party, 4-6 p.m., UCF FAIRWINDS Alumni Center. The UCF Alumni Association will host a tailgate party indoors to eat and mingle with other Knights fans. Admission is free for UCF alumni and their guests by showing alumni keycards at the door.
- College of Engineering & Computer Science BBQ and tailgate, 4-6 p.m., front lawn of UCF FAIRWINDS Alumni Center. Alumni and friends are invited.
- College of Business Administration Cohort MBA Program celebrates 10 years, 4-6 p.m., UCF FAIRWINDS Alumni Center. All one-year cohort MBA alumni are invited to celebrate this program milestone. Attendees can enjoy refreshments in a VIP section.
- College of Nursing Homecoming reunion, 1-4 p.m., University Tower in Research Park. The UCF College of Nursing classes of ’82, ’92, and ’02 will gather for a pre-game BBQ and tailgate luncheon. Attendees can tour the college’s skills and simulation lab and hear an update from the dean.
- Homecoming football game and crowning of this year’s king and queen, 7 p.m., Bright House Networks Stadium. Tickets are available at 407-823-1000.
Students who may need special accommodations for any of the events can contact email@example.com or 407-823-6471.
For additional information about Homecoming, contact Jason Avola, Spirit Splash director, or other members of the Homecoming executive board at 407-823-2450 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Details are also available at http://osi.ucf.edu/homecoming/events/ and http://www.ucfalumni.com/events/homecoming.
No Homecoming parade is scheduled this year.