Pro Football: NFL Week 12 Update
As players and coaches get ready for Week 13 in the National Football League, six former Knights continue to be key contributors as the playoffs approach.
Wide receiver Brandon Marshall (Chicago) had 12 catches for 92 yards in the Bears’ 28-10 win over Minnesota. Marshall has 1,017 receiving yards in his first season with the Bears, making him their first 1,000-yard receiver since 2002 (Marty Booker, 1,189 receiving yards). He is only the fifth player in NFL history (Irving Fryer, Tony Martin, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens) to record a 1,000-yard receiving season with three different teams; Chicago, Denver and Miami.
Fullback Bruce Miller (San Francisco) had 3 receptions for 37 yards in the 49ers’ 31-21 win over the Saints on Sunday. Look for him to be active again this week against the Rams as he continues to get touches in the 49ers offense while leading the way for running back Frank Gore.
Cornerback Asante Samuel (Atlanta) had 2 passes defended in the Falcons’ close 24-23 win over the Bucs on Sunday and nearly added to his gaudy career-interception total.
Cornerback Josh Robinson (Minnesota) is averaging 3.5 tackles per-game in his first season in the NFL, while kicker Matt Prater (Denver) hit a 34-yard field goal and was 2-for-2 on extra points in the Broncos’ 17-9 win over the Chiefs on Sunday.
Tackle Jah Reid (Baltimore) made his second-career start this week in the Ravens’ overtime win against the Chargers after missing the first seven weeks of the season with a calf injury.
It was also a milestone day for wide receiver Jamar Newsome. The former Knight was signed from the practice squad on Nov. 24 and made his Kansas City debut with his first-career NFL catch for 10 yards against the Broncos.
In the Canadian Football League, cornerback Joe Burnett was named to the CFL West Division All-Star team along with five of his fellow teammates.
For the complete update on former Knights in the NFL and CFL, check out the below list.
UCF Knights in the NFL – Regular Season/Most Recent Game
- WR Kamar Aiken – New England Patriots – Practice Squad
- WR Brandon Marshall – Chicago Bears – 11GP, 11 GS, 81 REC, 1,017 YDS, 8 TD/ 12 REC, 92 YDS (vs. VIKINGS)
- FB Bruce Miller – San Francisco 49ers -11 GP, 8 GS, 3 ATT, 15 YDS, 5 REC, 61 YDS / 3 REC, 37 YDS (vs. SAINTS)
- WR Jamar Newsome – Kansas City Chiefs – 1 GP, 1 REC, 10 YDS
- OG Nick Pieschel – Chicago Bears – Injured Reserve
- OT Jah Reid – Baltimore Ravens – 4 GP, 2 GS
- OG Josh Sitton – Green Bay Packers – 11 GP, 11 GS
- RB Kevin Smith – Detroit Lions – 8 GP, 2 GS, 37 ATT, 134 YDS, 1 TD, 8 REC, 62 YDS, 1 TD/ 3 ATT, 6 YD (vs. TEXANS)
- *TE Adam Nissley – Atlanta Falcons – Injured Reserve
- SS Atari Bigby – San Diego Chargers – 11 GP, 11 GS, 68 Tackles, 3 Pass Defended / 3 Tackles (vs. RAVENS)/ Injured Reserve Week 12
- DE Leger Douzable – Tennessee Titans – Injured Reserve
- CB Josh Robinson – Minnesota Vikings – 11 GP, 4 GS, 39 Tackles, 2 Passes Defended, 1st career Interception vs. San Francisco 49ers Week 3 for 24 YDS / 2 Tackles (vs. BEARS)
- CB Asante Samuel – Atlanta Falcons – 11 GP, 11 GS, 28 Tackles, 13 Pass Defense, 2 interceptions / 2 Passes Defended (vs. BUCS)
- DT Torell Troup – Buffalo Bills – Injured Reserve
- PK Matt Prater – Denver Broncos – 16-for-20 FG, 53 LG, 36- for-36 XP/ 1-for-3 FG, 2-for-2 XP (vs. CHIEFS)
UCF Knights in the CFL – Regular Season
- OG Cedric Gagne-Marcoux – Toronto Argonauts
- CB/KR Joe Burnett – Edmonton Eskimos – 18 GP, 18 GS, 47 Tackles, 1 TFL, 3 Special Team Tackles, Team-leading 5 Passes Defended, Team-Leading 6 INT-108 YDS-2 TD, 1 FR-44 YDS-1 TD, 28 KR-573 YDS, 52 PR-440 YDS, 3 Missed FG returns for 346 YDS, Defensive Player of the Week honors in Week 4/ 2 tackles, 4 PR-21 YDS
- DT Keith Shologan – Saskatchewan Roughriders – 15 GP, 22 Tackles, 3 Sacks/ 3 tackles