UCF Business Alumni, Partners to be Honored at 2017 Hall of Fame Ceremony
The University of Central Florida College of Business will host its 18th annual Business Hall of Fame banquet on Feb. 23 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Rosen Shingle Creek.
More than 600 College of Business alumni, faculty, students, corporate partners and friends of UCF are expected to attend this signature annual event. ”A Knight at the Opera” will honor the college’s most distinguished alumni and partners. Guests will celebrate in style beginning with a cocktail party, followed by the interactive and entertaining Business Hall of Fame banquet and awards ceremony.
2017 UCF Business Hall of Fame Inductees
The event will honor three UCF business alumni who have demonstrated exceptional professional successes in their fields. This highest honor given by the college to graduates is awarded to those who have been in the industry for at least 20 years and have brought notoriety to the university through their professional achievements.
- Sonya Dixon, ’96, ’98, chief financial officer and senior vice president at Holiday Inn Club Vacations, where she leads the finance organization with the goal of supporting the diverse activities of Holiday Inn Club Vacations. A certified public accountant, Dixon earned her accounting Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and MBA from UCF.
- Antonio “Tony” Moreno , ’91, managing partner/financial consultant, MPC Wealth Management, earned his finance Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from UCF. Moreno is a recipient of the national Leon Levy Award honoring financial services professionals who have met stringent ethical and professional standards while providing continuous quality advice and service.
- Michael O’Donnell, ’09, executive director for the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at UCF and executive in residence for the Department of Management in UCF’s College of Business. He also is the chairman and co-founder of the nonprofit Florida Angel Nexus, a statewide investment network. O’Donnell earned his Professional Master of Science in management from UCF.
The Partnership Awards recognize organizations that have initiated a successful partnership with or on behalf of UCF College of Business, resulting in the advancement of the college’s academic offerings or public outreach. These organizations embody the spirit of collaboration and are recognized for their initiative, leadership and involvement in the betterment of business education.
- CFE Federal Credit Union, a member-owned, nonprofit financial cooperative, is led by president and CEO and College of Business Dean’s Advisory Board member Joseph A. Melbourne. CFE Federal Credit Union is the presenting sponsor of UCF College of Business’s monthly Dean’s Speaker Series and works closely with the college and university to promote financial literacy. CFE is the official financial institution of the UCF Knights and has the naming rights to CFE Arena.
- Lockheed Martin, the global security and aerospace giant, is one of UCF College of Business’ leading internship and hiring partners, training and employing dozens of students and graduates each year.
Entrepreneurial Alumni Awards
The Entrepreneurial Alumni Awards honor UCF business alumni from any discipline who exemplify commitment, vision, calculated risk-taking and growth potential. In their professional careers, these alumni demonstrate perseverance in the face of adversity and overcome obstacles.
- Chip Headley, ’78, ’97, is the co-managing partner and CEO of Artistry Hotel Partners, LLC, a developer and operator of full service boutique hotels. Headley is a serial entrepreneur who has founded a number of companies in the hospitality, restaurant, construction and self-storage industries. He recently joined the college’s Dean’s Advisory Board. He is a Florida general contractor and real estate broker. He has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology and Executive MBA from UCF.
- Rock ’Em Apparel was launched in 2011 by UCF students who started hand-dying basketball socks in a bathtub. Five years later, the growing company has landed licensing deals with the NBA, Major League Soccer, UCF and other universities, and ESPN-owned tournaments such as the Jimmy V Classic. With the goal “to impact the sporting landscape, shaping a community and environment that encourages and rewards positivity, hard work, leadership and determination on and off the court,” Rock ’Em donated $10,000 to the Orlando One Fund in the wake of the Pulse tragedy.
- Justin Wetherill, ’07, is the founder and CEO of UBreakiFix, a company that fixes electronic gadgets and devices. Wetherill, who earned his accounting Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from UCF, got the idea for UBreakiFix when he dropped his brand new iPhone moments after taking it out of the package. UBreakiFix now has locations across the United States and Canada.
Notable Knight Awards
The Notable Knight Awards recognize UCF business alumni who displayed promise and excellence early in their respective career paths.
- Joe Barbito, ’02 (Management BSBA), vice president of Agency Management, Galaxy Asset Management, LLC.
- Kevin O’Connell, ’02 (Finance BSBA), managing partner, Northwestern Mutual.
- John Gill, ’86 (Finance BSBA), president and CEO, Quest Inc.
- Yvonne Baker, ’80, ’11 (Professional Master of Science in Real Estate), regional managing partner, Franklin Street.
Tickets and Hotel Accommodations
Individual event tickets for the banquet are $100, or guests may purchase a table of 10 for $1,000, which includes sponsor recognition. Discounted hotel rooms of $90 per night are available for guests at Rosen Shingle Creek, valid Feb. 23-25. For reservations, call 866-996-6338 and mention you are with the UCF Business Hall of Fame.