UCF cornerback Josh Robinson experienced a moment he will never forget Friday when he heard his name called in the third round by the Minnesota Vikings in the 2012 NFL Draft. A native of Sunrise, Fla., Robinson was the 66th overall pick, tying for the sixth-highest Knight selected all-time in the draft.
This marks the first season in NFL history that UCF had the highest draft pick among all schools in the state of Florida.
UCF has now had at least one player taken in seven-consecutive NFL Drafts dating back to 2006. Since 1987 when Ted Wilson and Elgin Davis became the first Knights to be selected in school history, a total of 29 UCF student-athletes have heard their name called by NFL organizations.
UCF currently leads Conference USA with 10 NFL Draft picks since 2006, as East Carolina stands in second with eight (as of Robinson’s selection). Entering the 2012 draft, UCF and ECU were the only two C-USA schools which produced at least one draft pick every season from 2006-11.
The Black and Gold’s highest selection in the NFL Draft occurred in 1999 when Daunte Culpepper was nabbed in the first round with the 11th overall pick by the Minnesota Vikings. Robinson joined Culpepper as the only two Knights who have been taken by the Vikings in school history. Meanwhile, Robinson will suit up alongside former UCF offensive lineman Patrick Brown (UCF from 2005-08) in Minnesota.
Recording the fastest 40-yard dash of any athlete to compete in the NFL Combine this spring, Robinson officially clocked in with a time of 4.33 seconds. The 5-foot-10, 199-pound Robinson also tied for first in the broad jump, second in the 3-cone drill, fourth in the 20-yard shuttle and 14th in the vertical jump (second among defensive backs).
A member of the C-USA All-Freshman Team and the All-C-USA Second Team in 2009, Robinson also was voted onto the league’s first team as a sophomore and as a junior. In 38-career games for the Knights, he amassed 176 tackles and ranked second in UCF history with 36 pass break-ups and fifth with 10 interceptions.
Football Knights in the NFL Draft
Player Pos. Team Year Round Pick
- Ted Wilson WR Washington Redskins 1987 10 274
- Elgin Davis DB New England Patriots 1987 12 330
- Bernard Ford WR Buffalo Bills 1988 3 65
- Corris Ervin DB Denver Broncos 1988 5 136
- Raymond Irvin DB Cleveland Browns 1991 9 225
- Shawn Jefferson WR Houston Oilers 1991 9 240
- Bob Spitulski LB Seattle Seahawks 1992 3 66
- Rick Hamilton LB Washington Redskins 1993 3 71
- Greg Jefferson DE Philadelphia Eagles 1995 3 72
- Marquette Smith RB Carolina Panthers 1996 5 142
- Daunte Culpepper QB Minnesota Vikings 1999 1 11
- Paul Miranda DB Indianapolis Colts 1999 4 96
- Charles Lee WR Green Bay Packers 2000 7 242
- Travis Fisher DB St. Louis Rams 2002 2 64
- Asante Samuel DB New England Patriots 2003 4 120
- Doug Gabriel WR Oakland Raiders 2003 5 167
- Mike Mabry OL Baltimore Ravens 2003 7 250
- Elton Patterson DE Cincinnati Bengals 2003 7 259
- Michael Gaines TE Carolina Panthers 2004 7 234
- Brandon Marshall WR Denver Broncos 2006 4 119
- Mike Sims-Walker WR Jacksonville Jaguars 2007 3 79
- Kevin Smith TB Detroit Lions 2008 3 64
- Josh Sitton OL Green Bay Packers 2008 4 135
- Mike Merritt TE Kansas City Chiefs 2008 7 239
- Joe Burnett CB Pittsburgh Steelers 2009 5 168
- Torell Troup DT Buffalo Bills 2010 2 41
- Jah Reid OT Baltimore Ravens 2011 3 85
- Bruce Miller DE/FB San Francisco 49ers 2011 7 211
- Josh Robinson DB Minnesota Vikings 2012 3 66