Knights Collecting Holiday Gifts for Those in Need
The UCF community doesn’t need snow at this time of year to feel the holiday-giving spirit. We just open our windows to let in the warm breeze and open our hearts to help those in need.
Several groups around the campus are collecting toys, blankets, gift cards and miscellaneous items to share with others in the community:
- The U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is being supported by multiple groups. Donors are asked to drop off new unwrapped toys for children.
The Veterans Academic Resource Center is collecting at the resource center’s lobby (Suite 100 in the CFE Arena) or the first floor of the John C. Hitt Library by 10 a.m. Dec. 15.
The UCF Police Department and the UCF Staff Council are collecting toys at a box at the police department through Dec. 13. (The department also is storing items already collected by the Learning Institute for Elders.)
The Recreation and Wellness Center will have a collection box in the main lobby by the administration office through Dec. 12.
The College of Sciences will have a box in the dean’s office through Dec. 12.
- The UCF Staff Council is collecting travel-size toiletries, small cosmetic/shave kit bags and blankets for Goodwill. A collection box is at the police department.
- UCFPD is collecting food, toiletries, blankets, clothing, etc. for Pathways, a mental health drop-in clinic, through Dec. 15. A collection box is at the department.
- Administration and Finance and the Office of Faculty Excellence sponsor an annual gift drive to benefit the Elf Project. Toys, books and other gifts are being collected by noon Dec. 16 for the Coalition for the Homeless, SafeHouse of Seminole, and the Pet Alliance of Orlando. The drop-off spots are Rooms 384 and 351 in Millican Hall.
- The UCF men’s basketball team will have a toy drive at the 5 p.m. Dec. 10 game at CFE Arena. The collection benefits the Spring of Tampa domestic-violence shelter. The first 100 fans who bring a toy will receive the December Knightro Bobblehead. UCF Athletics and SGA held a toy drive at the women’s basketball game Dec 4.
- UCF Health is collecting gift cards, toys and food for two homeless families. One family is a couple with four children, and the other is a mother with a 12-year-old son. For sizes and requests, contact Traci Briggs, patient services manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Veterans Academic Resource Center is collecting non-perishable food items for a food pantry. Just before the holidays, the VARC will distribute the food to student veterans and their families. Collection boxes are in the resource center and the deans office of the College of Health & Public Affairs.
- The Nicholson School of Communication faculty and staff are collecting unused travel-size toiletries through Dec. 16 to donate to the Coalition for the Homeless and the Zebra Coalition. Donations can be left in the administrative suite, Room 238.