Football: National Recognition for QB Bortles
Blake Bortles on five different watch lists.
It has been a huge change this preseason compared to 2012 for UCF quarterback Blake Bortles. The junior was entering his first campaign as the starting signal caller last year, and this year, the Oviedo native has had his name listed on five separate watch lists.
Blake Bortles Preseason Honors in 2013
- Manning Award Watch List – Top QB in the Nation
- Davey O’Brien Award Watch List – Top QB in the Nation
- Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List – Top QB in the Nation (At least a senior or four-year junior)
- Maxwell Award Watch List – College Football’s Player of the Year
- College Football Performance Awards Quarterback Trophy Watch List
Bortles’ most recent accolade was on the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List. The honor is presented to the nation’s top college quarterback based on character, citizenship, scholastic achievement, leadership qualities and athletic accomplishments. Candidates must be a college senior or fourth-year junior on schedule to graduate with their class.
For his career, Bortles has a 64.0 completion percentage and leads all returning quarterbacks in the state of Florida with 31 passing touchdowns. In 2012 alone, he went 251-for-399 for 3,059 yards and 25 touchdowns. The 3,059 yards ranked as the fifth-most in a single season, while the 25 scores also put him in fifth.
On the ground, Bortles rushed for 285 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore, highlighted by a combined 140 rushing yards in the final two contests of the 2012 season.