Celebrating 50 Years of Growing Together
SARC’s Annual Fall Learning Fair 2012
The Student Academic Resource Center’s annual fall Learning Fair targeted first-year students to increase their awareness and use of learning support services on campus. This event differs from typical campus outreach initiatives in that the more intimate scale encourages departments and organization to engage students in academic dialog. The fair included 26 university departments, services and academic organizations.
The 2012 SARC Learning Fair theme of “50 Years of Growing Together” supported UCF’s 50th anniversary celebration. SARC created an event mood for students to move through the past five decades and into the future through various visual and auditory elements including a large-scale SARC Family Tree, progressive background music moving from the 1960s to current times, and historical images from the UCF archives. SARC staff and Learning Fair representatives wore retro outfits depicting the decades.
New this year, walk-in advising was offered at the event by First Year Advising and Exploration, Sophomore & Second Year Center as well as Transfer and Transition.
The 2012 SARC Learning Fair was a success with 266 students who attended. Of those student participants about 58% were freshmen. Based on results of a written evaluation:
- 98% felt that the Learning Fair was well organized
- 99% felt more aware of UCF campus resources after attending the fair
- 92% of participants agreed that they learned at least one strategy to improve their study skills.
Student comments included:
- “I learned more about the resources available at UCF through participating organizations.”
- “I learned how to contact my advisors, including skype calls.
- ”“I learned how to get into an honors program.”